Research assistant in genetic modification of sugarcane
Research Center of Sugar Cane of Colombia, Cenicaña.
Experimental Station, via Cali-Florida km 26, San Antonio de los Caballeros, Florida, Valle del Cauca, Colombia.
The Sugarcane Research Center of Colombia, Cenicaña seeks a Research assistant to link to the Variety Program, Biotechnology area, line of research in Genetic Transformation and Genomic Edition. This position offers an excellent job opportunity and professional growth for the selected researcher. Said researcher will be part of a multidisciplinary group focused on the genetic improvement of sugarcane. The vacancy also offers the opportunity to interact with both national and international groups.
- Design, manipulation and quality control of transformation vectors in plants.
- Insertion and recovery of plasmids in Agrobacterium tumefaciens y Escherichia coli.
- Generate genetically modified sugarcane plants.
- Verification of modified plants using molecular biology techniques.
- Design of tests conducive to assess the function of genes of interest transformed in cane.
- Execution of functional validation tests in laboratory, greenhouse and field.
- Preparation of periodic progress reports.
- Participation in group meetings.
- Bachelor in biology or in some branch of the biological sciences.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in plant tissue culture and molecular biology.
- Extensive experience is required in molecular biology routines such as nucleic acid extraction, solution preparation and culture media.
- Experience in design and manipulation of transformation vectors in plants is preferable.
- Experience in real-time PCR and / or ddPCR is preferable.
- Coordination and communication skills (spoken and written) are required.
- Good reading and writing skills in the English language are required. Conversational level is preferable.
- Orientation towards the achievement of results.
- Initiative to solve problems and work with high quality standards.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and communication skills to interact with people at all levels.
- Creative thinking and self-criticism.
- Personality aimed at continuous improvement (personal and professional) and work in a cooperative environment.
- Planning capabilities and good organization.
Terms of employment:
The employment contract is for one year, renewable depending on the performance. Cenicaña offers a competitive salary based on the applicant's experience.
Working hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm at the Experimental Station via Cali-Florida km 26, San Antonio de los Caballeros. Florida. Cauca's Valley.
Candidates must send their resume and letter of motivation and interest to Dr. Jershon López, principal investigator of the line of research in genetic transformation and genomic editing of sugar cane.
Deadline: December 20 Friday of 2019.
We invite you to learn more about CENICAÑA by accessing the website: www.cenicana.org