Required: Research assistant in transformation and genetic editing of sugarcane
Research Center of Sugar Cane of Colombia, Cenicaña.
Experimental Station, via Cali-Florida km 26, San Antonio de los Caballeros, Florida, Valle del Cauca, Colombia.
The Colombian Sugar Cane Research Center seeks a Research assistant to join the Varieties Program, Biotechnology area, line of research in Genetic Transformation and Genomic Editing. This position offers an excellent job and professional growth opportunity for the selected researcher. Said researcher will be part of a multidisciplinary group of plant breeders, entomologists, phytopathologists and molecular biologists, whose objective is the production of varieties of sugarcane with high productivity and yield. The vacancy also offers the opportunity to interact with both national and international groups.
- Design, manipulation and quality control of transformation vectors in plants.
- Insertion and recovery of plasmids in Agrobacterium tumefaciens y Escherichia coli.
- Production of genetically edited sugarcane plants.
- Verification of edited plants using molecular biology techniques, such as qPCR, ddPCR and sequencing.
- Design of tests conducive to evaluating the function of genes of interest edited in sugarcane and / or in model plants.
- Execution of functional validation tests in laboratory, greenhouse and field.
- Preparation of periodic progress reports.
- Participation in group meetings.
- Highest educational level M.Sc. in biology or in some branch of the biological sciences.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in plant tissue culture and molecular biology.
- It is desirable to have publications in indexed journals.
- Extensive experience is required in molecular biology routines such as nucleic acid extraction, solution preparation, electrophoresis, PCR, and culture media, among others.
- Experience in the design and manipulation of transformation vectors in plants is desirable.
- Real-time PCR and / or ddPCR experience desirable.
- Coordination and communication skills (spoken and written) are required.
- Good reading and writing skills in the English language are required. Conversational level in English is preferable.
- Orientation towards the achievement of results.
- Initiative to solve problems and work with high quality standards.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and communication skills to interact with people at all levels.
- Creative thinking and self-criticism.
- Personality aimed at continuous improvement (personal and professional) and work in a cooperative environment.
- Planning capabilities and good organization.
Terms of employment:
The employment contract is for one year, renewable depending on performance and goals achieved. Cenicaña offers a competitive salary based on the applicant's experience.
Working hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm at the Experimental Station via Cali-Florida km 26, San Antonio de los Caballeros. Florida. Cauca's Valley.
Candidates must send their resume and letter of motivation and interest no later than March 31, 2021 to Dr. Jershon López (email@example.com) principal investigator of the line of research in genetic transformation and genomic editing of sugar cane.
We invite you to learn more about CENICAÑA by accessing the website: www.cenicana.org