Research Center of Sugar Cane of Colombia, Cenicaña.
Experimental Station Saint Anthony of the Knights, via Cali-Florida km 26, Valle del Cauca, Colombia.
The Colombian Sugar Cane Research Center seeks a Research assistant to be linked to the Variety Program, Biotechnology Area, line of research in Genetic Transformation and Genomic Editing. This position offers an excellent job opportunity and professional growth for the selected researcher. Said researcher will be part of a multidisciplinary group of plant breeders, entomologists, plant pathologists and molecular biologists, whose objective is the production of sugarcane varieties with high productivity. The vacancy also offers an opportunity to interact with both national and international groups.
- Design, manipulation and quality control of transformation vectors in plants.
- Insertion and recovery of plasmids in Agrobacterium tumefaciens y Escherichia coli.
- Production of genetically modified sugarcane plants.
- Verification of modified plants using molecular biology techniques such as PCR, qPCR, ddPCR and sequencing.
- Design of tests leading to evaluate the function of genes of interest introduced in cane and/or in model plants.
- Execution of functional validation tests in laboratory, greenhouse and field.
- Preparation of periodic progress reports.
- Participation in group meetings.
- Highest educational level M.Sc. in biology or in some branch of the biological sciences.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in plant tissue culture and molecular biology.
- It is desirable to have publications in indexed journals.
- Extensive experience is required in molecular biology routines such as nucleic acid extraction, solution preparation, electrophoresis, PCR, and culture media, among others.
- Experience in the design and manipulation of transformation vectors in plants is desirable.
- Desirable to have experience in gene expression, real-time PCR and/or ddPCR.
- Coordination and communication skills are required (spoken and written)
- Orientation towards the achievement of results.
- Initiative to solve problems and work with high quality standards.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and communication skills to interact with people at all levels.
- Creative thinking and self-criticism.
- Personality aimed at continuous improvement (personal and professional) and work in a cooperative environment.
Terms of employment:
The employment contract is for one year, renewable depending on performance and goals met. CENICAÑA offers a competitive salary based on the experience of the applicant.
The working hours are from 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the Experimental Station; Km 26 Cali-Florida Highway
Contact information and closing of the call:
Candidates must send their resume and letter of motivation and interest no later than November 30, 2022 to Dr. Jershon López (email@example.com) leader of the line of research in genetic transformation and genome editing of sugarcane.