According to NOAA's climate information analysis, the fourth quarter of 2016 would be under conditions of a new La Niña phenomenon.
Recommendations for the management of sugarcane cultivation in conditions of excess soil moisture.
- Facilitate the exit of water from the crop:
- Clean and collect ditches and collectors.
- Make sure the good condition and cleanliness of the drainage pipes.
- Remove plugs at the end of the grooves.
- Verify the free discharge of drainage ditches to the collectors.
- Check the condition of vases or dikes: cover cracks, clean and control anthill.
- Have motor pumps to evacuate water from the flat areas adjacent to the rivers.
- Reduce the negative effect of machines on the ground:
- Avoid overweight equipment and excessive skating.
- Control machine traffic.
- Perform only superficial tillage to establish the crop and leave deep work for when the humidity decreases.
- Use high clearance tractors to get jobs done in a timely manner
- In areas with slow drainage and susceptibility to waterlogging:
- Implement the sowing practice in the loin.
- Make high aporque in established crops and in socas.
- Check the types and doses of fertilizers suitable for soils with excess moisture:
- Replace urea with nitrogen-containing fertilizers in nitric form (ammonium nitrate and UAN solution).
- Use ammonium nitrate and UAN solution only if there is no risk of being washed by leaching or runoff (when sowing on the spine and / or performing high cork). It is preferable not to use any type of fertilizer in these extreme conditions.
- Apply the ammonium nitrate and UAN solution, in smaller doses than those used in conditions with normal humidity and near the strain.
(57-602) 5246611 ext 5130