Keys to a HEALTHY SEED
Take into account the following recommendations for the establishment of seedbeds that guarantee the health of the crop.
- It is defined based on the seeding rates for each variety. In general, the area of the seedbed should be one-tenth of the area that is planned to be renewed each year in commercial plantations.
- Sow 30% to 40% more than the estimated area, since seedlings can become infected with viruses and bacteria naturally.
Identify the right sites:
- With water availability
- Ease of fertilization and handling
- Lots away from commercial fields planted with varieties with incidence of RSD, LSD and SCYLV, to avoid the foci of infection of affected or diseased commercial lots.
3Age and cut number
- Use batches with a maximum of two cuts (template and first undercut).
- Ages between seven and nine months.
Carry out a different handling than commercial lots:
- Intensify biological control of stem borer insects (Diatraea).
- Perform sprinkler irrigation to reduce populations of virus vector aphids.
- Perform fertilization based on soil tests.
Monitor the origin of the seed and the status of commercial lots aged between five and seven months, in order to make a diagnosis of RSD, LSD and SCYLV. If necessary, use them as an alternative seed source.
Keep in mind
- Use seed from lots diagnosed as healthy or free from LSD, RSD and SCYLV. Make the diagnosis from seven months of age of the cane.
- Select varieties according to the site-specific agriculture approach, AEPS, for better adaptation to the agro-ecological zones of the farm.
- Discard lots with mixed varieties.
Disinfect tools with sublimated iodine (Aviyodox or Vanodine 2%), by instantly immersing the machetes in the preparation.
- Immersion of the seed in hot water at 50 ° C for 10 minutes
- Rest in the environment for 8 -12 hours
- Immersion of the seed in hot water at 51 ° C for one hour.
- Immersion of the seed in water at room temperature for 24 - 48 hours.
- Immersion in hot water at 51 ° C for one hour.
RSD: rickets of the soca - LSD: leaf scald - SCYLV: yellow leaf virus